Monday, August 25, 2008

reflecting lights, drizzling against the pane

On my plate today:

-Researching the company ChiLiving, who I have an interview with tomorrow. The founders, who I will be meeting at least one of, are the writers of ChiRunning and ChiWalking. Simply put, they have incorporated the basic teachings of T'ai Chi into walking and running so that walkers and runners can do their things in safer and more meditative ways.
*I had a good tip from a friend about preparing for interviews. She said to read everything you possibly can about them and remember what you read. When you get to the interview, act and talk as if you are already working for the company. They should be happy that to have found a person who already knows about the company and the job.

-Finishing up my proofreading test for Lark Books. Lark Books is a super awesome publishing company that publishes crafts and art books only. I plan on hand delivering the test to them today. This company seems so much fun and so cool. They have already sent me the work for the interview, if I make it to that step (which I think I will because I know my proofreading almost as well as the back of my hand). The work for the interview consists of two "mock" assignments. One, where you have to find 3 artists that make hand make shoes and do a presentation of your findings. And the second is where you have to write up a sidebar for this "proposed" book on handmade shoes. Doesn't it sound like fun? Every day would consist of finding new people who hand make things! Fun!

(One of Lark Books' many...books!)

I'm split between these two jobs and for many reasons. The first is a full time job where I'd make $25,000/year (which is about $17/hour - sooo much for my age bracket) and would get insurance and benefits after three months. And I'd also think it'd be fun and interesting to learn about this holistic way of living in awareness of your Chi. But the second job is actually an internship where'd I'd be working only half time and probably not have that great of pay, maybe $10/hour if I'm lucky. I would also get no benefits and it is supposed to last only through this "semester." But every day would be so much fun there! I'd be learning about all these people who make hand made objects and that are living the d-i-y life. Plus, my upstairs neighbor works there, and if she is any indication of the kind of people that work there then I know I'd love it!

So that's my dilemma. Either one would be great, so that's why I'm putting all my efforts in to learning as much as I can about both companies and doing my darnednest to think like I work at both of them already. But which do you think would be fun to work at, or rather, which would you rather work at? I'd like to get a survey from people on this because, people, I'm horrible at making decisions. ;)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin